Advantages Of Video Conferencing In Education
With schools at all levels moving to online-only instruction in 2020 due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, teachers who previously only taught in person in the classroom now find themselves seeking ways to make their lectures and lessons capture and keep the attention of their students.
There are various technologies instructors can use — from simply pre-recording or livestreaming their lessons to interactive video conferencing software. There are several potential advantages of video conferencing in education, as discussed more fully below.
Benefits of Video Conferencing in Education
In addition to the convenience online learning offers, instructors and students alike can benefit in multiple ways from classroom video conferencing:
- Content sharing: Rather than simply emailing files to students or posting them on a classroom portal online, video conferencing gives teachers and students the ability to share documents and files in real time.
- Connect participants: Social distancing, and distance learning, can lead to feelings of isolation. Video conferencing applications facilitate interaction by bringing people together. This tool can also connect participants from all over the world, making it possible to engage local students as well as international students.
- Recording functionality: Another benefit of video conferencing is that it allows participants to record the lecture or lesson for future reference. While this feature isn’t used much when video conferencing is used in primary grades instruction, it can be beneficial for high school and college students who are using online learning tools. This gives students another means to help with studying and exam preparation.
- Engage others: In addition to uniting students and teachers, video conferencing may be employed to bring in guest lecturers and other subject matter experts. Whether an expert is physically located in the same town or is halfway across the globe, video conferencing can bring everyone to the same (virtual) table.
- Interaction and collaboration: Perhaps the biggest benefit of video conferencing in education is the fact that it encourages interaction and collaboration between students and teachers. In turn, this could make students more motivated and engaged in their learning experience.
Applications for Video Conferencing in Education
There are several possible purposes for classroom video conferencing:
- Lectures: Teachers can give lectures remotely to the entire class while sharing reference documents on-screen.
- Small group learning: Another popular use of video conferencing in the classroom is small group discussion sessions. Video conferencing can be a great way for students working on group assignments or projects for class to connect face to face, remotely.
- Conferences and meetings: Video conferencing tools are also a great option for connecting students and teachers one on one for advising sessions, or as a way of holding “office hours” to answer students’ questions remotely.
Turn to MacCormac College for Accredited Online Degree Programs
For many colleges and universities, moving to an online education model meant scrambling to figure out how to educate students remotely and find workable solutions. MacCormac College was already providing in-person and online education before the stay-at-home orders were implemented. Our faculty and students were better able to adjust to these methods of education than some in other colleges.
Contact us in Chicago today to learn more about our fully accredited associate degree programs, including our online-only degree options!