You are here
Court Reporting Major
To inquire about this program:
Day and Evening Classes Available
Court Reporters are the professionals who capture, protect, and preserve the court's record by recording the verbatim proceedings in court or during pre-trial depositions, which they translate into a transcript for use by court officials and attorneys.
Court Reporting Mission Statement:
It is the mission of the Court Reporting Associate of Applied Science degree program to provide a strong foundation consisting of both academic knowledge and technical expertise that will prepare the student for a career as a professional judicial reporter in a variety of venues, including administrative, governmental, and judicial. Foremost among the attributes to be developed is a firm sense of and appreciation for professionalism at all times both in and out of the classroom.
The fun, online quiz takes 3-minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Training Career Readiness score now.
Court Reporting Goals:
- Students will complete a supervised externship affording them an opportunity to define career goals, gain experience, and acquire self-confidence
- Students will be well-prepared for the state Certified Shorthand Reporter (CSR) and the Registered Professional Reporter (RPR) certification exams.
- Students will obtain experience with Realtime reporting during core classes
Court Reporting Learning Outcomes:
- Court Reporting graduates will be able to demonstrate:
- Listening and concentration skills to aid in machine shorthand writing
- Proficiency in writing legal, medical, and technical terminologies
- The ability to apply all punctuation, grammar, and spelling principles in transcription work
- Knowledge of local, national, and international current events
- Expertise in the appropriate speeds and all theory principles
- Knowledge and understanding of the NCRA Code of Professional Ethics
- Knowledge of technology as it is used in all aspects of the profession
Program outline is available here.